UX & accessibility at VRT
As public broadcaster in Belgium for the Flemish Community VRT distributes a wide variety of content over many different channels. They focus on qualitative content in the areas of information, culture, education, entertainment, and sports. VRT does not only wants to produce qualitative content but also qualitative digital channels. Which creates a growing importance for UX, UI and inclusive design.
The existing and new websites and applications of VRT are constantly evolving and must therefore be constantly improved in function of the end users. It is also very important for VRT to offer all content in an accessible way.
What we did
Accessibility & UX research and design support for VRT MAX & other VRT websites and applications. For VRT MAX we advise, guide and support VRT in all user research in function of the further development and optimization of the applications and website. For this purpose, user research is regularly set up, for example:
- Top task research of website and applications
- User experience of children through interviews, focused on the KetNet offer and the child profile
- User tests on working with mixed content such as podcasts, radio and audio clips
- A/B testing to improve conversion to a specific viewing or listening experience
In terms of Accessibility, we support VRT in becoming aware of and implementing accessible digital experiences. In doing so, we do things like:
- User testing focused on use with various assistive technologies (such as screen readers, braille controls, keyboard controls…)
- Supporting design and development in designing and developing accessible applications and websites
- Involving specific target groups (non-native speakers, digitally illiterate, cognitively impaired…) in interviews and other user surveys
- Provide internal awareness and practical application training on digital accessibility
- Documenting internal guidelines on accessibility and WCAG compliance